San Fernando California History
The San Fernando Valley is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Southern California. If there is anything called the "San Fernando Valley," it is that the indigenous peoples of Tongva and Chumash have been calling this region their homeland for thousands of years. They have lived in the region since the beginning of the 19th century and inhabited it even before the Spaniards arrived in the 18th century and founded the Sanernando Mission. In 1845, Governor Pio Pico declared the mission building for sale and made it available to the public for 1,000 dollars a year from 1846 to 1848.
The mission of San Fernando served the Spaniards as a place to convert the native Americans to Catholicism. The native people associated with the Mission of San Gabriel, the Gabrielinos, were also called Fernandenos because of their mother tongue and culture, as well as their religious beliefs and practices.
The name Northridge was used for the location of the community, which is located on the northern ridge in the San Fernando Valley. It was named after a city in Spain that had the same name as the Mission of San Gabriel and the City of Los Angeles, but not the Mission.
The city was named after St. Ferdinand, who named his rancho in the San Fernando Valley after him. Mexican Governor Pio Pico handed over most of the land to Mexicans after the Alta California fell into his hands.
Lankershim founded the city named after him and founded it as the first city in the state of California, San Fernando. Lankershim founded a city named after him and named it in honor of St. Ferdinand.
As for urbanization, the mission was mainly farmland with a few cities, but not much more. As we know the San Fernando Valley today, it seems remarkable that it is probably the quietest part of LA. It is not even immune to the effects of the City of Los Angeles and the rest of Southern California, especially in the South Bay and Orange County.
San Fernando had an abundant groundwater supply that allowed it to remain a city in its own right, while the surrounding San Fernando Valley agreed to annex Los Angeles to take advantage of the abundant water supply of the newly opened Los Angeles Aqueduct. When the surrounding San Francisco Valley and neighboring San Bernardino Valley agreed to annex Los Santos, Calif., in exchange for some of the water resources that come from the freshly paved and newly opened LA - San Gabriel River, the abundant freshwater supply allowed Sanernando to remain a city of its own. While the San Santa Barbara area, Los Bernardino County and the surrounding San Fernando Valley agreed to the annexations of LA to provide generous water supplies through the newly opened Los LA Aquedsuct, San Fernandes' abundant groundwater resources allowed the San Antonio Valley, along with nearby San Luis Obispo County and Orange County, to exist as independent cities.
If they were separate cities, the San Fernando Valley would have been the fifth largest city in the country. If secession had happened, a new city of Sanernando, California, with a population of more than 1.5 million people, would be the new "city" of the San Fernando Valley.
The city of Los Angeles completely surrounded San Fernando, with the exception of the Sylmar neighborhood to the north. Although Bell Canyon is not part of the city, it falls within the boundaries of the San Fernando Valley. The land was already occupied by a large number of cattle ranchers, apparently acquired to raise cattle in the Sanernando Valley, and by cattle ranchers from the neighboring cities of San Bernardino and San Gabriel.
After he bought the southern San Fernando Valley in 1910, Sherman retained ownership of the Sherman Oaks neighborhood that bears his name to this day.
Porter Ranch was one of the last communities in the San Fernando Valley to join the city of Los Angeles. In 2002, Porter Ranch residents, along with the rest of their community, made a serious effort to secede from the other cities and become their own new independent city. LAFCO concluded that a new city in the Sanernando Valley would be financially viable, but would have to mitigate the $60.8 million that the remaining portion of Los Angeles would lose in revenue. Even in San Fernando Rey, the distance from San Bonaventura is about twice as long as that from San Pedro and more than three times as far as San Bernardino.
In 1876, the South Pacific opened a tunnel through San Fernando and drove the first train to Los Angeles. The Valley General Store, which still stands in Van Nuys, Sylvan, and which also housed the San Fernando Valley's "first bank." It was also the first real building in the city and the first public library. In 1877, in an effort to create a first-bedroom community outside Los Angeles, the company changed the name of the community to Toluca Lake, and adopted the swan and splash image that is still associated with the community as its logo.